Thursday, August 30, 2007

Radiohead vs R&B

This just showed up in my Facebook news feed:

Top Music in the York University network.
1 Radiohead
2 Coldplay
3 R&b
4 U2
5 Hip Hop



Is it just me or does that scream "People who like R&B and Hip Hop don't really give a fuck what they're listening to?" I mean, I'm aware that there are other possible explanations. Maybe there are more Hip Hop acts out there and as such popularity is less consolidated, for instance. I don't really know.

Still, even if neither of my proposed explanations is even close to correct, those poll results are interesting.

5 Comments:

Blogger FJ said...

I'm surprised U2 is on the list. And where is Led Zeppelin? Aren't they supposed to show up on every music list?

2:52 PM  
Blogger Gideon Humphrey said...

I wasn't that surprised by U2. They're pretty friggin' hugely popular. I also am not surprised that a group primarily from the 70s is not included, even if they are supposed to show up everywhere.

I found it most surprising that there were no individual acts outside of what's basically the standard singer-guitar-bass-drums format, personally. Shrug.

3:11 PM  
Blogger FJ said...

Did you have someone in mind? Finding good new music is not easy for me. Give me some tips.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Gideon Humphrey said...

Hmm, well, you might try last.fm to discover new people. After an initial training period, it's been working pretty well for me, and I'm HUGELY picky as you know.

As for specific bands you should check out that you probably haven't heard of, first and foremost is Porcupine Tree, specifically the following tracks:
-Anesthetize
-Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
-Gravity Eyelids
-Heartattack In A Lay By
-Shesmovedon
-Sound Of Muzak
-Trains
-Where We Would Be

You would probably also like M83 and maybe Oceansize.

I can probably find some more for you too, but there's a start.

4:18 PM  
Blogger FJ said...

That'll do for now, thanks.

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home